Development Director (Oakland, CA)
Development Director (Position located in Oakland, CA)
Salary commensurate with experience
This professional-level position — available immediately — is an exciting opportunity to join the leadership of PolicyLink. PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works. PolicyLink collaborates with a broad range of partners to implement strategies to ensure that everyone — including low-income people and communities of color — can contribute to and benefit from economic growth and prosperity. Please visit our website at www.policylink.org for more details about our work.
Overview of Position
PolicyLink seeks a Development Director to oversee and manage all development and fund-raising activities. Successful candidates will be values driven, self-motivated, resourceful, and have experience in running a successful development department for an organization with an annual budget of more than $15 million. The candidate must be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment that requires adaptability to shifting priorities, a keen sense of urgency, and a commitment to excellence. Candidates will need to demonstrate an aptitude for private philanthropy, individual donors, and government grant-making programs.
- Lead and manage all fundraising at PolicyLink in partnership with the president and CEO and COO.
- Lead a development department of 2 to 3 staff.
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with the Executive Team and senior staff, a customized, broad-based resource development strategy to achieve and maintain long-term financial stability that includes foundation, individual, corporate giving, and government support.
- Write and edit proposals, reports, and funder correspondence.
- Oversee the submission of narrative and financial reports in accordance with funder guidelines with assistance from program and financial staff.
- Identify and secure new funding opportunities.
- Direct prospect research on new national, regional, and local sources of public/private support.
- Expand the PolicyLink base of individual donors.
- Maintain and grow current funder relationships.
- Provide reports to the Executive Team and board committees regarding overall resource development activities, as required.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 8 to 10 years of professional development experience and a successful track record.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in running a development department.
- Ability to lead and implement the development strategy for PolicyLink.
- Understanding and experience with finance/fund-raising integration issues.
- Working knowledge of grants management database Raiser's Edge.
- Commitment to the goal of advancing equity and inclusion in America.
- Innovative and confident in their ability to make decisions and manage multiple ongoing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven track record of meeting financial goals.
- Ability to share information in a way that attracts, connects, and motivates.
- Gains energy from a challenge.
- Organized and flexible.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work as a self-starting member of a team.
- Ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail.
- Cultural competency — ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
Send Cover Letter and Résumé to:
Include subject line: Your Name, Development Director
Fax: (510) 587-1123
1438 Webster Street, Suite 303
Oakland, CA 94612
Position open until filled.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance and 401(k) retirement plan.
No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
PolicyLink is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.