We're Hiring: Director of Communications
Communications is essential to advancing equity and achieving PolicyLink goals, and for those reasons, the Communications office was established with the organization's founding in 1999. The newly created Communications Director position reports to the Vice President for Communications, and is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to drive communications for the organization's future, to be at the forefront of demonstrating how effective communications strategy can catalyze equity results. In addition to developing and implementing strategic communications across all platforms, the Communications Director will provide leadership, guidance, and direction to a staff of eight to 10 communications professionals whose skills include strategic communications, editorial and print production, social media, media relations, and digital communications.
Collectively the team will position and support senior leaders throughout PolicyLink offices in Oakland, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC, to advance policy campaigns using all communications platforms.
In addition, this individual will oversee the development and implementation of strategies designed to attract ever-growing numbers of funders, advocates, and interested others to push and support policies that will bring opportunities to some of the many distressed communities in the nation. By focusing on these communities and successfully helping them to advance, PolicyLink believes the entire nation is poised to succeed.
- Collaborate with senior leaders on the creation of a comprehensive internal and external communications plan that will enable PolicyLink to maximize our social impact through thought-leadership and key initiatives.
- Lead and mentor our team of dedicated communications professionals to help them achieve success in their roles; work with individual team members to support their professional development goals; be an advocate for the communications team, and advocate for cutting-edge resources.
- Be a communications "visionary," consistently bringing an understanding of communications trends, best practices and technologies to bear on PolicyLink work and how these might be best utilized given our organizational goals and resources.
- Communicate complex and powerful ideas to a diversity of audiences, engaging internal and external stakeholders in ways that foster a sense of community.
- Act as a strategic communications counsel, partnering with senior leaders to build internal and external content, such as fact sheets, position papers, marketing materials, press releases, and digital resources for dissemination across various PolicyLink communications platforms, with a keen eye for specific PolicyLink audiences and constituents.
- Oversee the development of consistent messaging across the organization to promote the PolicyLink mission, vision, and values.
- Enhance communications standards and systems including branding and style guides, social media content policies, and inter-departmental workflows.
- Train cross-functional teams around communications best practices and systems.
- Ten years' experience in external affairs, communications, and/or marketing with progressive leadership responsibility and a track record of creating innovative communications plans and strategies that employ measurable tools and tactics; experience working with national progressive policy/advocacy organizations is especially valued.
- Excellent project and team management skills, alongside a profound enjoyment for leading and mentoring individuals in their professional development.
- Excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication and presentation skills, with proven success tailoring messages to a variety of audiences, particularly in translating complex policy and advocacy work to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Keen understanding of promoting thought-leadership to strengthen an organization's brand and support differentiation in a competitive market.
- Ability to develop and enhance strong communications standards, workflows, and branding guidelines while disseminating content across multiple mediums, including social media, newsletters, and more.
- An innovative and opportunistic approach to identifying new opportunities to advance the mission of an organization through strategies that position it to be a thought leader, develop new partnerships, and elevate organizational visibility.
- Independent thinking with openness and excitement for new ideas; passion for collegial team environment and working with multiple colleagues on different projects at the same time.
- Intellectual curiosity coupled with a sense of humor.
- An entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, fast-paced, high-performing world-class organization.
- Some national travel in support of collaborative work efforts.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree, or similar advanced degree preferred.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your leadership capabilities, skills, and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Milly Hawk Daniel, Vice President for Communications at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K160000...
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PolicyLink offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. PolicyLink is an equal opportunity employer.