PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works®.
As the nation moves toward becoming majority people of color, achieving equity—just and fair inclusion into a society in which all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential—is the moral imperative, a potent antidote to inequality, and the superior growth model.
To advance equity, PolicyLink addresses race forthrightly and drives groundbreaking policy changes that enable everyone, especially people of color, to be economically secure, live in healthy communities of opportunity, and benefit from a just society. PolicyLink is guided by the belief that the solutions to the nation’s challenges lie with those closest to these challenges: when the wisdom, voice, and experience of those traditionally absent from policymaking drive the process, profound policy transformations emerge.
PolicyLink seeks to deliver and scale results in the following arenas:
- Equitable Economy:Promote economic inclusion and ownership to eliminate poverty, shrink inequality, and increase mobility.
- Healthy Communities of Opportunity:Create and maintain opportunity-rich communities in all neighborhoods and all regions of the country through strong networks and social capital, equitable development, and infrastructure investments that enable low-income people and communities of color to thrive.
- Just Society: Build power and expand agency to ensure that all systems and institutions are just, free of racial bias, and lead to a vibrant democracy where all, especially the most vulnerable, can participate and prosper.
We do our work by weaving together four essential functions:
- Advocacy that advances policy change at all levels of government and across sectors.
- Applied research and communications that build public and political will for inclusion, justice, and broadly shared prosperity.
- Constituency and network engagement that empowers leaders to advance equity.
- Implementation capacity that connects local innovations to policy and gives people and organizations the tools and networks they need.