Controller (Oakland, CA)
Salary commensurate with experience
This position, available immediately, is an exciting opportunity to join the staff at PolicyLink.
PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works®. For more information, please visit our website at: www.policylink.org.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller is responsible for accounting, internal and external financial reporting, tax, payroll operations, and the design and maintenance of adequate systems and controls. Equally important, you will leverage your experience to adapt complex financial information for use by a variety of audiences both internal and external, develop strategy, implement change, and participate in cross-functional systems and cultural development.
This job is for you if…
- You have expert knowledge of nonprofit GAAP and IRC and a passion for excellence in accounting and financial management.
- You are motivated by process and details, and a perfect ledger and a flawless audit are your pride and joy.
- You are excited to develop and improve on internal controls, guidelines, and procedures.
- You are comfortable working with cross-functional teams and explaining financial accounting principles to non-financial professionals.
- You are comfortable working autonomously, but you take a customer-service approach to your work.
- You strive to bring organizational values and an equity lens to financial management.
- Perform strategic management and execution of critical accounting and finance processes and provide technical and operational advice to program and leadership teams.
- Act as the primary accounting and tax expert and leader, overseeing all accounting policies and procedures for PolicyLink.
- Provide accounting, finance, and associated reporting leadership and expertise to high-impact, cross-functional projects. Direct the resolution of complex or unusual organizational challenges.
- Champion continuous improvement initiatives to enhance internal controls over financial reporting as well as budget and forecast accuracy on a consolidated basis.
- Supervise and mentor the finance team on all general ledger, consolidation, technical accounting, tax, cash management, and revenue recognition activities.
- Provide technical guidance across all facets of the business operation including communication/clarification of new laws and regulations related to GAAP, tax, and statutory reporting.
- Work with the Chief Financial Officer on budgeting and board meeting preparation.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert on a specific accounting policy or policies, providing business support on their interpretation and application.
- Manage external auditor relationships to facilitate completion of audit procedures in a timely and efficient manner.
- Lead, motivate, and develop talent within the organization including, but not limited to, immediate direct reports by coaching, counseling, engaging, and evaluating associate performance.
- Identify opportunities and drive projects to improve business processes and business support.
- Establish, implement, manage, and monitor critical accounting and reporting policies, processes, and associated metrics.
- Work closely with Chief Financial Officer to set standards and drive compliance across the entire organization.
Experience and Qualifications
- 7+ years of demonstrated nonprofit accounting experience; 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), hybrid experience a plus.
- Expert knowledge of GAAP and IRC as they apply to nonprofit organizations.
- Exceptional team leadership skills and ability to develop, engage, and evaluate team members.
- Ability to lead, manage, and work with a geographically distributed team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence through creating fellowship.
- Strong strategic business acumen, change management and continuous improvement champion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance or equivalent work experience; CPA, MBA, or MNA a plus.
How to Apply
Email Résumé and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org (include subject line: “[Your Name] (Controller)
OR fax to (510) 663-4323
OR mail to:
PolicyLink –Search Committee (Controller)
1438 Webster Street, Suite 303
Oakland, CA 94612
Position open until filled.
Please note: No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
PolicyLink is committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment.