Director, Equity Data Team (Oakland, CA)
This professional-level position, available immediately, is an exciting opportunity to join the staff at PolicyLink. PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works®.
PolicyLink is seeking a Director to lead our growing portfolio of work that leverages data to advance racial and economic equity. The Director will have principal responsibility for the day-to-day management of the National Equity Atlas and the forthcoming Bay Area Equity Atlas and lead the development of other high-impact quantitative and mixed-methods analyses and data tools. Our data products and research inform policy campaigns led by PolicyLink and our allies, elevate equity issues in the policy debate, and equip local leaders with relevant data and policy solutions. The Director will report to the Managing Director responsible for the Equitable Economy portfolio and the National Equity Atlas partnership with the Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE) at the University of Southern California. They will manage the work of three associates who produce data analyses as well as consultants as needed.
The ideal candidate is passionate about producing data and research that is relevant and actionable for those working on the frontlines to advance racial economic equity. They are skilled at analyzing data, producing compelling data displays and maps, and writing data analyses in an engaging and accessible way — and looking for an opportunity to further grow skills and leadership by joining our dynamic team.
- Manage the development and maintenance of the National Equity Atlas and forthcoming Bay Area Equity Atlas.
- Lead the data team in designing and executing high-impact, innovative, policy-relevant data analyses and tools.
- Manage local partnerships with funders and community coalitions.
- Coordinate with the design and communications teams to produce high-quality products.
- Lead quantitative and qualitative research and author, co-author, and contribute writing and research to policy briefs, analyses, and articles, including comparative analyses and equity profiles/research reports focused on particular communities.
- Develop creative solutions to communicate complex data and research findings, including through data visualizations (graphs, charts, and maps), presentations, and websites.
- Oversee the development and implementation of outreach and dissemination strategies, including webinars.
- Conduct trainings and presentations on the National Equity Atlas.
- Manage grants and project budgets.
- Stay current with pertinent literature, developments, and data visualizations around issues of demographic change, inequality, mobility, and equitable growth.
- Occasionally conduct short-term data and mapping analyses for other teams at PolicyLink.
- The position will involve travel (we estimate one to two trips per month).
- Master’s degree in urban planning, economics, public policy, or related social science (e.g., political science, sociology).
- At least ten years of experience conducting data analysis and research to support policy development, advocacy, or organizing.
- Experience managing a team.
- Experience managing the development of data and research products.
- Excellent writing and research skills, experience with data analysis and quantitative research, including statistical analysis (SPSS or another statistical package) and spatial analysis using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and attention to detail in producing research for publication.
- Ability to translate complex data and analyses for mainstream audiences, including facility with using Excel for data analysis and the generation of graphs and charts.
- Strong communications skills, including public speaking and the ability to work collaboratively with local and national partners.
- Self-starter with good time management skills and ability to effectively work on multiple projects.
- Experience working with low-income communities of color and familiarity with public policy and the legislative process are desirable.
How to Apply
Email Résumé and Cover Letter to: email@example.com (include subject line: “[Your Name] (Director, Equity Data Team)
OR fax to (510) 587-1123
OR mail to:
PolicyLink –Search Committee (Director, Equity Data Team)
1438 Webster Street, Suite 303
Oakland, CA 94612
Position open until filled.
Please note: No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
PolicyLink is committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment.