Constituency Alignment Intern (Oakland, CA)
PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works®. PolicyLink collaborates with a broad range of partners to implement strategies to ensure that everyone — including those from low-income communities of color — can contribute to and benefit from economic growth and prosperity.
PolicyLink operates a summer internship program for continuing graduate students (master's or doctoral) in public policy, urban planning, and related fields. Internships are paid, and the duration is generally 10 weeks. PolicyLink occasionally hosts interns during the academic year, depending on project needs and student interest.
We strive to provide each intern with two main opportunities: 1) a meaningful and challenging assignment (or set of assignments) that provides a chance to apply and hone the skills they are learning in graduate school to influence public policy; and 2) the opportunity to learn about the process of policy change and the way that PolicyLink accomplishes our mission of advancing economic, social, and racial equity through policy change.
Each intern plays an integral role in helping our organization further policy impact through research, communications, capacity building, and advocacy. We have hosted interns from nearly 20 different universities and colleges, in programs such as urban planning, public policy, public health, community development, information management, and journalism/communications.
Interns gain insight into the field by assuming responsibility for a project under the guidance of experienced professionals. This year, four internship positions are based in our Oakland office and one in New York. The internship starts June 3 and ends August 9. Review the PolicyLink website (www.policylink.org) to learn more about our work.
PolicyLink is seeking a continuing graduate student intern to provide research support to its Constituency Alignment functional area. This work focuses on organization-wide efforts to engage and align leaders in the equity field. We work closely with key partners and PolicyLink staff across the organization to understand existing connections among partners in the equity movement and to develop and implement processes that inform organization-wide engagement efforts.
Assignments will include:
- Background research on organizations and equity leaders to gather information such as areas of focus, partners, and publications.
- Analysis of research to lay out and understand connections and relationships among equity leaders as well as their presence in the field, on social media, etc.
- Development of products to support the Constituency Alignment functional area.
- Internal (and possibly external) meeting support including scheduling, logistical coordination, agenda preparation, development of meeting materials, and notetaking.
Desired qualifications and skills:
- Continuing graduate student
- Commitment to racial and economic equity
- Interest in transforming practice to achieve solidarity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Research experience and strong analytical skills
- Good team player
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
PolicyLink is accepting applications for summer 2019 internships. The deadline for applications is March 15, 2019. Candidates may apply for up to two internship opportunities.
Please submit the application components in a single document so we can print double-sided. Interviews will take place during the months of February and March. Applicants will be contacted by telephone to schedule an interview that will take place in person or over the telephone.
Please note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not use this email address to apply for an internship; your application will not be considered.
PolicyLink is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and a welcoming workplace.